Apligraf® is an FDA-approved, bioengineered living cell therapy indicated for the healing of venous leg ulcers (VLUs) and diabetic foot ulcers (DFUs).1
Apligraf plays an active role in healing by providing the wound with living human skin cells, growth factors and other proteins produced by the cells, and a collagen matrix.2 Specifically, Apligraf stimulates healing due to its tissue engineered structure, which includes an outer layer of protective skin cells (human epidermal keratinocytes), and an inner layer of cells (human dermal fibroblasts) contained within a collagen matrix. Through extensive research, it has been proven to close more VLUs and DFUs, faster both in clinical and real world settings.1-7
Apligraf is a leading skin substitute product for the treatment of VLUs. We believe it is also the first and only wound-healing therapy demonstrated, in a randomized controlled trial, that it can convert the VLU wound environment from a chronic (or non-healing) gene profile to an acute (or healing) profile.1,2,8
For more information on Apligraf® please visit www.apligraf.com.
- Apligraf [package insert]. Canton, MA: Organogenesis Inc.; 2010.
- Data on file. Organogenesis Inc.
- Veves A et al. Diabetes Care. 2001;24(2):290-295.
- Kirsner RS et al. Poster presented at: the Symposium on Advanced Wound Care; October 16-18, 2014; Las Vegas, NV
- Marston WA et al. Wound Repair Regen. 2014;22(3):334-34.
- Kirsner RS et al. Wound Rep Reg. 2015;23(5):737-744.
- Rice JB et al. J Med Econ. 2015;18(8):586-595.
- R. C. Stone, O. Stojadinovic, A. M. Rosa, H. A. Ramirez, E. Badiavas, M. Blumenberg, M. Tomic-Canic, A bioengineered living cell construct activates an acute wound healing response in venous leg ulcers. Sci. Transl. Med. 9, eaaf8611 (2017).